Catasauqua Press

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Charotin Hose Co. Fire Calls

Thursday, October 25, 2012 by The Press in Local News

North Catasauqua's Charotin Hose Company responded to the following calls recently:

Smoke in a dwelling

Aug. 24, 5:13 p.m.

Charotin firefighters responded with the Catasauqua and Han-Le-Co fire departments for smoke in a dwelling in the unit block of Race Street. The caller had reported smoke filling the residence. Investigation revealed an electrical malfunction in a ceiling fan. Personnel isolated the ceiling fan to prevent further issues.

Structure fire report

Aug. 28, 10:34 a.m.

North Catasauqua firefighters were dispatched for a reported structure fire at Sacred Heart Assisted Living, 602 E 21st St., Northampton, with the Northampton Fire Department. The initial call was for an automatic fire alarm from the third floor. With a report of smoke on the third floor from police, a responding Northampton chief upgraded the assignment to a high occupancy structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters found no smoke. While the alarm was from the third floor, no cause was found.

Water flow alarm

Aug. 28, 3:11 p.m.

North Catasauqua firefighters were dispatched for a water flow alarm at Lehigh Valley Christian High School, 330 Howertown Road, Catasauqua, with the Catasauqua Fire Department. Before responding, personnel were placed on standby and remained in quarters. Firefighters found the alarm had sounded as a result of contractors working on the system.

Gas odor

Aug. 29, 8:24 a.m.

Charotin personnel responded to the intersection of Third and Eugene streets, Catasauqua, for a gas odor investigation. While waiting at the morning school bus stop, parents noted a strong odor of natural gas in the area and dialed 911. Police were reporting the odor evident at Second and Eugene streets as well. With a block-long odor, additional personnel and equipment were added to the assignment and the gas company, UGI, was called to the scene. Firefighters investigated and found no gas within the surrounding homes. UGI located a leaking street valve that was already on their repair list.

Fire alarm

Sept. 5, 8:54 a.m.

North Catasauqua, Catasauqua and Northampton firefighters responded for a residential fire alarm in the 800 block Liberty Street. Chief Hadik arrived on location and reported the alarm had been set off by steam from a shower.

Fire alarm

Sept. 5, 5:23 p.m.

Charotin personnel responded to the former Sheftel's building at 1151 Front St. for a fire alarm reported by a citizen. Upon arrival, no alarms were present and no problems were found.

Water flow alarm

Sept. 11, 9:13 a.m.

North Catasauqua firefighters responded for a water flow alarm at the former Sheftel's property, 1151 Front St. Chief Hadik received a call from an employee of the area water company who was working nearby, reporting water coming from the water gong, an exterior alarm to report when water is flowing through the sprinkler system. Nothing was showing upon arrival.

Personnel entered the building and found no signs of smoke or fire or a sprinkler activation. The sprinkler system appeared to have malfunctioned and was flowing through testing and monitoring hardware for the sprinkler system, perhaps caused by a water surge. Firefighters stopped the flow of water and referred the building to the borough's code enforcement officer for follow up.

Oil burner malfunction

Sept. 12, 11 a.m.

North Catasauqua firefighters responded, offering mutual aid to the Catasauqua Fire Department, for a reported chimney fire at 12 Second St., Catasauqua. A firefighter passing by that address noticed black smoke coming from the chimney. Police on the scene and a second call from the homeowner reported fuel oil delivered this morning and no problem. Personnel arrived at the location and found smoke in the basement with carbon monoxide in the basement and first floor. The carbon monoxide concentration was above 35 ppm, a level considered dangerous to occupants of the home.

A fan was set up to ventilate the residence. Catasauqua firefighters shut down the oil furnace and opened an exit for the ventilation. The furnace appeared to be flooded with oil and in need of professional service and cleaning.

After ventilating, firefighters turned the residence back to the homeowner and recommended service on the furnace before placing back it into operation.

The Han-Le-Co Fire Department was also on the assignment.

Fire alarm

Sept. 13, 2:48 a.m.

North Catasauqua personnel responded to a fire alarm at 1400 Main St. Upon arrival, firefighters found no alarms on the panel. A check of the hallways and common areas found no problems.

Gas leak

Sept. 19, 5:35 p.m.

Charotin personnel responded to the 200 block of Eugene Street for a reported gas leak. A strong odor of gas was noted and UGI was called to the scene. Firefighters found the odor strongest near the intersection of Third and Eugene streets, where firefighters had responded to a gas leak a couple weeks ago. UGI checked the area and found the leaky valve from the earlier response had never been repaired, causing the gas odor presently. The UGI representative stated a crew would fix the leak that evening; otherwise it would be awhile until repaired.

Dwelling fire

Sept. 20, 12:18 a.m.

Charotin firefighters responded with Northampton firefighters Fire 42 for a reported dwelling fire in the 300 block of East Eighth Street in Northampton. The caller reported an odor of something burning in the house.

Firefighters checked the residence and found a spoon that had melted in the dishwasher. No fire was found. Allen Township personnel had also responded on the assignment.

Fire alarm

Sept. 28, noon

North Catasauqua firefighters responded to the 500 block of Third Street with the Catasauqua Fire Department for an automatic fire alarm.

Carbon monoxide alarm

Oct. 1, 12:35 a.m.

Charotin personnel responded for a carbon monoxide alarm in the 700 block of Washington Avenue, Northampton. The caller had reported a carbon monoxide alarm activation with no victims. Firefighters found no carbon monoxide in the residence and believe the alarm was due to a detector malfunction.