Catasauqua Press

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Charotin Hose Co. Fire Calls

Thursday, December 13, 2012 by The Press in Local News

North Catasauqua's Charotin Hose Company responded to the following calls recently.

Fire alarm

Oct. 17, 11:30 a.m.

Charotin firefighters were dispatched with the Catasauqua Fire Department for an automatic fire alarm at Salem United Church of Christ, 615 Third St., Catasauqua. The alarm company reported the alarm was coming from the community room. A second call from the alarm company reported steam from cooking. Firefighters arrived on location and confirmed the steam from cooking. Staff had already reset the alarm system before arrival.

Gas leak investigation

Pct/ 26. 2:38 p.m.

North Catasauqua Fire Department personnel responded to the area of 1015 Fifth St. for a reported gas odor outside. Upon arrival, firefighters closed the street and began checking the area. Responders noticed a faint odor of natural gas but were unable to detect any natural gas on department meters. The UGI representative checked below the surface and located 90 percent natural gas near the location of a repair made days earlier in the street at that address. UGI was contacting a repair crew and would be excavating again to repair the leak.

Further sampling done by UGI did not indicate any risk to the surrounding homes and NCFD units and personnel were released from the scene.

Hurricane Sandy response

Oct. 29

NCFD handled two electric-related calls during Hurricane Sandy. The first, at 9:31 p.m. Monday night, was for a transformer fire near Fifth and Grove streets. The second, just over an hour later, was for wires down near Seventh and Penn streets. Personnel also investigated a utility pole leaning over near Lincoln and Grove streets.

Power outages were wide spread in the Borough but most customers were restored the following day. Numerous trees were blown down and broken.

Smoke investigation

Oct. 31, 9:27 a.m.

North Catasauqua personnel responded to the 800 block of Chapel Street for a smoke investigation. The caller reported heavy smoke and was unsure of where it is coming from. Upon arrival, the smoke was seen coming from a property behind 815 Chapel St. Further investigation revealed a controlled burn at a residential property near Grove and American streets. The homeowner was using the fire to cook and was allowed to continue burning, as allowed under the borough's burning ordinance.