Catasauqua Press

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Charotin Hose Co. Fire Calls

Thursday, January 3, 2013 by The Press in Local News

North Catasauqua's Charotin Hose Company answered the following calls recently.

Smoke in dwelling

Nov. 13, 11:47 a.m.

North Catasauqua firefighters responded as mutual aid with the Northampton Fire Department for a dwelling fire at 1254 Main St., Northampton. Allen Township Fire Department and Northampton Regional EMS also responded.

The caller had reported an odor of something burning and smoke in the basement. Firefighters investigated and found a light haze and an electrical odor in the basement. The cause was determined to be a refrigerator that malfunctioned. The unit was de-energized. No active fire was found and the smoke and odor ventilated naturally.

Fire alarm

Dec. 2, 1:48 a.m.

Charotin personnel responded to the North Catasauqua High Rise for a fire alarm. Firefighters found the system was not in alarm. They found a water flow trouble indicator and referred the incident to the property maintenance staff.

Alarm malfunction

Dec. 6, 1:51 a.m.

Borough firefighters responded for a fire alarm at 1400 Main St., the North Catasauqua High Rise, for an automatic fire alarm. Upon arrival, firefighters found no fire alarms present. As had happened four nights earlier, only a waterflow trouble alarm had activated, a system malfunction.

The building was turned over to a representative from the Lehigh County Housing Authority.

Garage fire

Dec. 7, 11:13 p.m.

North Catasauqua personnel responded along with the Catasauqua Fire Department for a working garage fire at 110 Delaware Ave., Catasauqua. Firefighters arrived on location and stretched a 2-1/2-inch hand line to initiate a fire attack. North Catasauqua firefighters stretched an additional 1-3/4-inch hand line to extinguish a shed that had also caught fire.

Firefighters were on the scene for a couple of hours, conducting overhaul and an investigation. One firefighter suffered minor burns and was transported to the hospital for treatment.

Han-Le-Co Ladder Fire Company and Northampton Regional EMS were also on the box. East Allen EMS was called for a rehab unit and an additional Medic from EMS called to transport the injured firefighter.

Fire alarm

Dec. 10, 10:53 a.m.

The North Catasauqua Fire Department responded to Saint Lawrence Catholic Church for an automatic fire alarm from the rectory. Upon responding, a second call from the alarm company reported smoke from cooking and confirmation by police on scene. An assistant chief held mutual aid companies in station and proceeded to the scene. The cause of the fire alarm was confirmed and building occupants had taken care of the alarm system. All apparatus and personnel were recalled.

Catasauqua and Northampton personnel were also dispatched as automatic mutual aid.

Dwelling fire

Dec. 10, 2:10 p.m.

Charotin personnel responded on a mutual aid assignment with the Catasauqua Fire Department for dwelling fire at 200 North 14th St., Catasauqua. The caller had reported white smoke from the roof of a residence across the street from Sheckler Elementary School. North Catasauqua personnel position their engine at a hydrant on 14th Street while Catasauqua firefighters investigated. Firefighters determined the smoke was, in fact, steam from a roof-mounted dryer vent. All units and personnel were recalled.