Survivors to be honored June 22 at Relay for Life
The Relay For Life of Whitehall will recognize and salute local cancer survivors and their caregivers 6 p.m. June 22 during a special ceremony in the Whitehall High School stadium. Dinner will be provided through donations from local restaurants.
I invite every survivor and caregiver in the Whitehall-Coplay, Northampton, Catasauqua and Allentown School Districts to attend this ceremony, which is open to the public.
Last year 205 survivors and caregivers attend our dinner. If you are a survivor or caregiver, please contact me by May 15 to ensure we have enough food. Restaurants are also invited to contact me if they are interested in supplying food.
Today's technology and research has moved cancer patients from high death rates to high survival rates. Of course, this depends on the cancer; if it is caught early and the patient's response to treatment.
The following are quotes from cancer survivors. I found them to be uplifting.
1. "You have to be knowledgeable and aware of the latest research. Knowledge is power. You and the doctors are working together for the greater good of your health and your survivorship. I'm blessed to live in an era where there are treatments that can help me live."
2. "Scars may heal, blood counts may normalize, years may pass. But never again will the simple act of waking up to a normal, boring day as a healthy individual be taken for granted, nor go unappreciated."
3. "I trust the Lord and his plan for me is perfect, so whatever that will be, will be."
4. "When you face the fact that something can be so devastating and scary and unknown... it gives you a perspective of prioritizing your own world. It gives you a positive outlook."
5. "I want to be a shining example of what a survivor is. I want to let others know, 'I did it and I'm OK!"