Press to collect for Stockings for Soldiers
Lehigh Valley Press will once again participate in Stockings for Soldiers, working with Keystone Military Families. For our readers who would also like to participate, the items needed are listed below.
All items collected go to all branches of the military and to locations in Afghanistan, Kuwait, Korea and any other troops that request support from home. All items are sorted and packed according to the requests received directly from the troops or their families. Special holiday items also have been added to the list.
Requested items for 2016 include:
• Christmas stockings — 20 to 24 inches in size, handmade or purchased
• Christmas hats — Santa or elf type
• Paper or plastic Christmas decorations — no glass ornaments
• Ground or instant coffee, K-cups and hot tea, coffee creamer, sugar packets, hot chocolate or hot cider
• Power Bars,* cereal bars, trail mix, granola bars and healthy snacks
• Slim Jims, beef or turkey jerky
• Sunflower seeds and nuts
• Individual snacks like crackers, cookies, cheese/cracker kits*
• Peanut butter and jelly — small-size plastic jars*
• Candy canes
• Small sewing kits and manicure kits
• Sunscreen and insect repellent*
• Chap Stick with sunscreen and Blistex
• Aspirin, Tylenol and cold meds in small packages
• 5-Hour Energy and similar products
• Odor Eaters (for boots), Dr. Scholl’s foot pads and blister pads
• Hand sanitizer — small-size bottles to carry with them
• Mens’ and ladies’ calf-high socks or boot socks in black or white
• Hand and foot warmers
• Thermal gloves or glove liners
• Pet treats and toys
• CDs* and DVDs — New or used are fine. Current releases are appreciated.
• Money for shipping costs* ***
* Items most needed or requested by the troops
*** Monetary donations are needed to help us ship the care packages. This is always our biggest need by far. Shipping costs have increased, and it does not matter how many items are collected if we do not have money to ship it. In November and December 2015, 7,620 stockings were shipped to troops all over the world.
Note: The U.S. Postal Service regulations do not allow anything in aerosol cans to be shipped. Shipping currently takes about 14 to 21 days to the combat zones. It takes about a week to get everything sorted and boxed. Please keep this in mind when you are checking expiration dates on food items.
Books are not being collected at this time.
Items need to be delivered to The Press, 1633 N. 26th St., Allentown, by Nov. 17.
For questions, contact Debbie Galbraith at 610-740-0944, ext. 3705, or by email at email@example.com.