The public is invited to the dedication of the sign commemorating the archaeological dig of the Fort Deshler site. The event will be held 11 a.m. Nov. 9 along the Ironton Rail Trail.
Fort Deshler was owned by Adam Deshler. It was provisioned as a place of refuge during times of unrest by the Pennsylvania Assembly and Benjamin Franklin. It was the only Colonial fort utilized for refuge during the 1763 Indian uprising.
An archaeological dig on the site of the former fort was commissioned in 2017 when Whitehall Township approached the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation in conjunction with the MacArthur Road 75th anniversary.
To highlight the historic nature of the area and to memorialize the archaeological dig, a sign has been installed along the Ironton Rail Trail.
Parking for the event is at the Limestone Drive cul-de-sac or at the trailhead parking area on Chestnut Street.