Catasauqua Middle School STAR Players of the Month for October were recognized by the school board during the Nov. 12 meeting. From left are Lavonte Bouie, Rodney Berger, Shane Dolon and Sabastian Gibbs. With the students is CMS Principal Melissa Inselmann.
Enjoying refreshments after the outdoor tree lighting at the YMCA last Thursday is Tyra Brown, center, of North Catasauqua, and her cousins Eva, left, and Mia Gomez of Catasauqua. They are all grandchildren of the late Tess Gerhard, who was honored with a light on the YMCA's Tree of Lights. Tess was involved with the YMCA for 22 years. See page 2 for more photos of the event.
Suburban North YMCA celebrated the holiday season with a Tree of Lights event.
Sheckler Elementary School students of the month for November were recognized during the Catasauqua Area School Board's Dec. 6 meeting. Pictured from left, in the front row, are Jordan Soltis, Logan Younes, Trevor Regits and Larry Snyder and in the back row are Derek Troxell, Angelina Grate and Bridgette Walsh. Pictured with the students is Assistant to the Principal Ron DeMaio.
North Catasauqua Borough Council meets at 1 p.m. in the council room at borough hall for a year-end meeting to vote on final approval of the 2013 budget.
Lehigh County Commissioners meet at 7:30 p.m. in the public hearing room of the Lehigh County Government Center, 17 S. Seventh St., Allentown.
Photos from around the local area
Borough police responded Dec. 11 to a report of a vehicle alarm sounding at 9:23 p.m. in the area of Ninth and Chestnut streets.
On arrival, police said, they determined the sound of the alarm was coming from a 1991 Ford sedan.
The owner of the vehicle arrived at the scene and turned off the alarm, police said. No further action was taken by police.
Coplay Police on Dec. 23 responded to a report of a fire in the parking lot at the Lehigh Valley Ice Company, 904 Chestnut St.
Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A report of smoke coming from a roof brought police to the 200 block of North 14th Street.
· Officers responded to a report of a vehicle playing loud music in the 700 block of Poplar Street.
· A report of criminal mischief to a vehicle brought police to the 200 block of Wood Street.
· Police assisted an elderly man in the unit block of Fifth Street.
· A report of fraud brought officers to the unit block of Faith Street.
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A report of disorderly conduct brought police to Aspen Lane.
· Officers responded to a request for information in the 1900 block of Belleview Drive.
· A report of a motor vehicle crash brought police to MacArthur Road.
· Officers responded to an alarm in the 5400 block of North Coplay Road.
· A report of public drunkenness brought police to Main Street.
· Officers received information in the 3400 block of North Fifth Street.