Richard "Dick" J. Berner, 76, of Whitehall, died Nov. 28, 2012, in Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown. He was the husband of Constance M. (Lukish) Berner for 53 years.
Born in Coplay, he was a son of the late Louis and Theresa (Nickischer) Berner.
He graduated with a bachelor's degree from Moravian College in 1958. He earned a master's degree from Lehigh University.
He taught in Lower Saucon School District for 10 years and was the director of guidance at Whitehall High School for 31 years.
The Lehigh County Senior Center has been awarded a grant of $5,000 from the ACBL Charity Foundation.
The American Contract Bridge League is a national organization that supports duplicate bridge games and tournaments throughout the world.
Ethel T. Capkovic, 90, of Northampton, died Dec. 1, 2012, at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Muhlenberg, Bethlehem. She was the wife of the late Stephen J. Capkovic II.
Born in Northampton, she was a daughter of the late Metro and Esther (Ludinsky) Prutzanni.
She was a bookkeeper for the former Bells Sponging Company for 13 years before retiring.
She was a member of St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church, Northampton.
Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A report of an unwanted person brought officers to the 700 block of Front Street.
· Police responded to the theft of a license plate from a motor vehicle in the 200 block of Church Street.
· A report of an individual attempting to unlawfully enter an apartment brought officers to the 700 block of Front Street.
· Officers conducted a death investigation in the unit block of Covington Place.
· Officers assisted EMS in the 200 block of Poplar Street.
· Vietnam Veterans of America meeting – 7 p.m., Banko Family Community Center, next to Lehigh Valley Hospital Muhlenberg, 2545 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem. All Vietnam veterans are welcome for membership. Information: Ken Howard at 610-428-9911.
· Catasauqua Area Lions meeting – 7 p.m., Jednota Club, Fifth and Grove streets, North Catasauqua.
· Duplicate Bridge, Invitational – 12:30 p.m., Lehigh County Senior Citizens Center, 1633 Elm St., Allentown. For players with 0-199 master points. Information: 610-437-3700.
Richard H. Carls, 78, of Fogelsville, died Dec. 1, 2012, at St. Luke's Hospital and Health Network, Bethlehem. He was the husband of Patricia (Keller) Carls for 51 years.
Born in Wescoesville, he was a son of the late John and Arlene (Bieber) Carls.
He was in the U.S. Army.
He was a Meridian Bank branch manager for 36 years before retiring. He then became a loan officer with East Penn Bank at the Emmaus branch. He and his family ran C&M Lawn Service for 27 years.
Alfonz Szoldatits, 82, of Allentown, died Dec. 1, 2012, at home surrounded by his loving family.
He and his wife Catherine (McCabe) Szoldatits celebrated their 53rd anniversary May 9.
Born in Szentpeterfa, Hungary, he was the son of the late Ferenc and Maria Szoldatits.
He served in the Hungarian Army then immigrated to the United States and became an American citizen in 1964.
He worked at various companies in the skilled trades before retiring from Mack Trucks in 1987 after 22 years of service.
John Sulyma, 90, of Whitehall, died Nov. 22, 2012, at Fellowship Terrace. He was the husband of the late Mary (Pater) Maurer Sulyma, and former spouses, the late Nova Jean Sulyma and the late Irene Sulyma.
Born in Lincoln, R.I., he was the son of the late Elias and Julia (Mostava) Sulyma.
He was in the U.S. Navy where he served as a quartermaster first class and was a veteran of World War II.
June A. Miller, 71, of Whitehall, died Nov. 30, 2012, at Sacred Heart Hospital, Allentown. She was the wife of Thomas R. Miller for 45 years.
Born in Weaversville, she was a daughter of the late Clarence Naylor and Ada (Kuehner) Naylor of Whitehall.
She was a member of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Kreidersville.
Arrangements were made by Schisler Funeral Home Inc., Northampton.
·Artsquest Center, Bethlehem, needs volunteers for Christkindlmarkt to take tickets, assist vendors, do crafts with children and help out in the retail areas. Volunteers are required to do three shifts.
Contact Hillary Harper at 610-332-1370 or email@example.com.
·Cancer Support Community, Bethlehem, needs help to get donation cans into stores, businesses and coffee shops throughout the Lehigh Valley.
Contact Becky Morgan at 610-861-7555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.