Several members of the Moravian College music faculty come together for a "revue," 4 p.m. Jan. 20, Peter Concert Hall, Hurd Campus, Bethlehem.
Performers include Suzanne Kompass, soprano; Dan DeChellis, piano; Inna Eyzerovich, violin; and Gregory Oaten, tenor.
Ken Kovacs has joined Lehigh Valley Financial Group, a general agency of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), as a financial services professional.
Ken is a specialist in Family Life Insurance Programs, Disability Income Protection, College Planning Strategies, Retirement Planning, Business Succession Planning, Group Retirement Planning, and Long Term Care Insurance Programs.
Kovacs was most recently with Summit Financial Resources.
Charles Kalan and Susan Rutt, Co-Chairs of Arts Ovation, have announced that nominations are now being requested for awards to be presented at the Allentown Arts Commission's 25th Annual Luncheon, May 2.
Nominations may be submitted in writing or via email in the following categories:
Outstanding Achievement in Visual, Performing and Literary Arts: May be individuals and-or arts organizations. In submitting a nomination, specify if it is for Visual, Performing or Literary Arts.
Traditions of Hanover will hold an AARP Safe Driver Initial Course 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. Jan. 15 and 16.
The two-day course is available to drivers age 50 and older. It's the starter course to receive car insurance discounts and the elimination of one point on a driver's license.
The event includes lunch. Seating is limited. Register by Jan. 11 by calling Jennifer, 610-882-0400.
ST. PAUL'S ANGLICAN CHURCH
25th & Livingston Streets
Allentown, 18104 - 610-435-0712
8:40 a.m. Morning Prayer
9 a.m. Holy Communion
'28 Book of Common Prayer
9 a.m. Church School
Wed., 10 a.m. Healing Service
Rev. Joseph S. Falzone
ASSEMBLY OF GOD
ASSEMBLY OF GOD
3449 Cherryville Road
Northampton - 610-262-5645
Daniel E. Lundmark, Pastor
Sunday School - 9:30 a.m.
Sunday Worship - 10:45 a.m.
Sunday Evening - 6:00 p.m.
Cedar Crest College will host its fourth annual Scholarship Competition Day, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Feb. 10, Tompkins College Center. The winner of the competition will receive the college's highest academic award: a four-year, full tuition scholarship (eight consecutive semesters).
The three-hour exam consists of a multiple choice section including questions from the academic disciplines of the arts, mathematics, science, and the humanities. There is also a writing component. Participants who continue to the final round are announced at the awards luncheon on Scholarship Day.
Dinaw Mengestu, a faculty member with the Pan-European MFA in Creating Writing program at Cedar Crest College, was selected to receive a 2012 MacArthur Fellowship, commonly known as a "genius grant."
The fellowships from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation are among the most prestigious in the United States, and come with a no-strings-attached $100,000 annual stipend for five years. They MacArthur Fellowship is awarded in order to foster unfettered creativity in people who have already shown great achievement and promise in their field.
The Lehigh Valley Soccer Scholar Athlete Banquet will be held Sunday, Jan. 13, at 5:30 p.m.
This year is the inaugural boys and girls joint banquet and it will take place at the Northampton Community Center.
Melissa Fuhrman is a forward with 19 career goals and 14 career assists. She ranks second in her class with a 4.0 GPA out of 4.
She is a four-year letter winner in soccer and was captain her senior year. She was all-Colonial League honorable mention as a sophomore and Morning Call all-area team as a sophomore and junior.
Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Officers assisted EMS in the 400 block of Front Street.
· A report of a hit-and-run motor vehicle accident brought police to the 100 block of Church Street.
· Police were called to the 400 block of Prospect Street to investigate a matter involving a juvenile.
· Officers responded to an alarm at the Lehigh Valley Christian High School, 330 Howertown Road.
· Officers responded to a report of a loud group of people in the 300 block of High Street.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Open to all model railroaders ages 14 and older. Information: Dick Lobach at 610-965-2598.
· Al-Anon Family Support Group meeting – 7-9 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, corner of Tilghman and Cedar Crest, Allentown. For adult children of alcoholics and dysfunctional families. Information: 610-395-3781.
· Zumba classes – 7-8 p.m., Faith Lutheran Church, 3355 MacArthur Road, Whitehall. Information: Tara at 610-440-2344.