In our last column, we wrote about railroad memories when the Central Railroad of New Jersey, Lehigh Valley Railroad, Northampton and Bath Railroads served Northampton, Coplay, Catasauqua and Cementon.
My first railroad trip took me to Allentown to shop in their popular stores, but a great thrill was a trip to visit my aunt in New York City. It was the first time I left Pennsylvania; she resided in the Bronx.
• Governor Wolf Historical Society meeting, 7 p.m., on the GWHS campus, 6600 Jacksonville Road, East Allen Township. Information: govwolf.org
• Quilting and sewing, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., at Lehigh Valley Active Life, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. Information: 610-437-3700
• Cribbage, 1-5 p.m., at Lehigh Valley Active Life, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. Information: 610-437-3700
• Mah Jongg, 1-5 p.m., at Lehigh Valley Active Life, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. Information: 610-437-3700
Northampton Liederkranz, 402 E. Ninth St., will hold a clam night 5-8 p.m. June 8.
Northampton Area Historical Society and Quota Club will join together for a community yard sale 8 a.m.-1 p.m. June 9.
The historical society will hold its sale at the Siegfried Station, West 21st Street.
Quota Club will hold its sale at Canal Street Park. Refreshments and baked goods will be sold.
To reserve a space at Quota’s sale, call Kelly at 610-262-7826. There is a fee for the spot.
St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 417 Howertown Road, will be having a yard sale in the fellowship hall 8 a.m.-1 p.m. June 9.
Refreshments will be available for purchase.
There are still some spaces available to rent for a small fee.
Call the church office at 610-264-3221 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. during the week with any questions.
Bethany United Methodist Church, 429 Walnut St., will be holding Vacation Bible School titled “Polar Blast.” It runs 6-9 p.m. June 22, 9 a.m.-noon June 23 and 9 a.m.-noon June 24.
St. John’s Lutheran Church, 18 S. Third St., will have a baked chicken dinner 4-6 p.m. June 9 in the church hall.
The menu includes chicken, lettuce with bacon dressing, baked beans and more.
The Ironton Rail Trail Commission will hold its annual 5K run/walk 8 a.m. June 10, starting at Saylor Park, Second and Keefer streets.
The IRT will again be part of Coplay Community Days in late August.
Coplay Sports Inc. will meet at its Sixth Street field house 8:30 p.m. June 13, following games and league play by its youth.
• Beading club, 1:30 p.m., at Whitehall Township Public Library, 3700 Mechanicsville Road. Information: 610-432-4339
• Pinochle, 7 p.m., in the Trexler Room of Lehigh Valley Active Life, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. Information and cost: 610-437-3700
• Moorestown Garden Club meeting, 7 p.m., at Salem United Church of Christ, 2218 Community Drive, Moorestown. Information: 610-759-1652
• Bingo, 7 p.m. (doors open 5 p.m.), at Klecknersville Rangers Volunteer Fire Company, 2718 Mountain View Drive, Moore Township
Recently, I received a call from Mr. Jim Rowland, editor of Lehigh Lines, official publication of Railroad Historians of the Lehigh Valley, Lehigh Valley Chapter. Jim requested some information on the Atlas Cement Company Memorial Museum and the railroad network at the Atlas plants.
Jim, a former Egypt resident, today resides in Maryland. Two friends, both railroad buffs in the chapter, are Mike Bednar, of Darktown (Hokendauqua), and a former student, Kermit Geary, of Lehigh Township.
The 10th annual Paw Prints on the Canal is set for 11 a.m.-4 p.m. June 3 at Canal Street Park. It will be held rain or shine.
The event is sponsored by Northampton Borough and benefits the Northampton Police Department’s K-9 unit.
Highlights of the day include a rescue parade, noon, and a sharp-dressed pet contest, 1 p.m. Northampton’s K-9 unit will offer demonstrations.
Quota Club of Northampton will hold its annual yard sale 8 a.m.-1 p.m. June 9 at Canal Street Park.
Rain date is June 10.
The annual We Sing community yard sale and flea market will be held 8 a.m.-2 p.m. June 9 at the North Catasauqua William J. Albert Memorial Park, 701 Grove St.
Rain date is June 23.
Vendor registration is open through June 8.
We Sing provides a 10-foot-by-10-foot space for a basic fee, with additional space reserved for a vehicle for an additional fee.
For cost information and to register, call 610-264-1225 or email NorthCataWeSing@aol.com.
The Groove Merchants will perform 7-10 p.m. June 1 at Catasauqua Park Ampitheater, 501 American St. Come on out with your lawn chairs, blankets and refreshments for a fun, music-filled evening.
Salem United Church of Christ, 615 Third St., will be having a flea market 9 a.m.-1 p.m. June 2. Featured is a basket raffle, bake sale, pickled red beets and lots of food for eat-in or take-out meals.
If you have items you would like to donate (no TVs or electronics) or any questions, call either the church at 610-264-4091 or Bev Werner at 610-248-2822.