On Sept. 19, Catasauqua Police Department held its monthly community outreach event. This time, Catasauqua residents were invited to enjoy hot dogs at Blondies, 333 Front St., Catasauqua, for Dogs with the Defenders.
For the past year and a half, the police department has been organizing these gatherings at local restaurants or other venues, with the hope of making a stronger bond with the community it serves.
Events like this provide a friendly environment where everyone can come together without the stress that usually accompanies a visit from the police.
The League of Women Voters of Lehigh County focused on the county’s new voting machines at its Sept. 9 Hot Topics luncheon. Speakers Timothy A. Benyo, chief clerk to the Lehigh County Elections Board, and Terri Harkins, deputy chief clerk, provided a clear explanation of the new voting process.
To promote election security, Gov. Tom Wolf ordered that all counties must have new, secure voting machines by 2020.
Catasauqua Borough Public Works Committee meets 6 p.m. in the municipal complex, 90 Bridge St.
Catasauqua Borough Zoning Hearing Board meets 7:30 p.m., as needed, in the municipal complex, 90 Bridge St.
Hanover Township (Lehigh County) Planning Commission meets 7:30 p.m. in the township building, 2202 Grove Road.
Catasauqua Borough Planning and Zoning Committee meets 9:30 a.m. in the municipal complex, 90 Bridge St.
Catasauqua Borough Planning Commission meets 6:30 p.m. in the municipal complex, 90 Bridge St.
Mr. Michael Haberle was reared in Nazareth, graduating from Nazareth High School in 1978, where he was co-captain of the Nazareth High School football team, which won the 1977 Colonial League championship. He played both halfback and linebacker. The team was coached by Jim Evanko. Mike also played center field for the baseball team.
Oct. 5 will mark the 150th anniversary of Salem United Church of Christ, located at 615 Third St. on the corner of Walnut Street in Catasauqua Borough. While the congregation may be older, at 167 years, the building itself celebrates its sesquicentennial this year.
A year after separating from St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1868, the congregation of Salem UCC laid the cornerstone for the new building 2 p.m. Oct. 5, 1869. They purchased the land, which was then on the far edge of town, from the esteemed Judge and Sen. Joseph Laubach.
Catasauqua held its last flea market for the summer Sept. 28 at Fireman’s Field, Second and Race streets.
The flea market benefits fire and police. This one was well attended and extended into the afternoon.
Vendors reported the event was successful. The number of vendors that booked tables was an increase from the last event.
The next big events for the borough are Fest O’ Fall, set for Oct. 5, and the Halloween parade, scheduled for Oct. 16.
Keep an eye out around the borough for Catasauqua’s iconic scarecrows. Members of Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association have been busy putting them up in preparation for Catasauqua’s annual Fest O’ Fall.
“We have about a hundred that we put together from all the past Fest O’ Fall events,” Betsy Hillenbrand, HCPA president, said.
The festival is scheduled for noon-5 p.m. Oct. 5. The rain date is Oct. 6.
The event, sponsored by HCPA, takes place at both the Biery House, 8 Race St., and the George Taylor House, Lehigh and Poplar streets.
Catasauqua Borough Recreation Committee meets 6 p.m. in the municipal complex, 90 Bridge St.
Catasauqua Borough Council meets 7 p.m. in the municipal complex, 90 Bridge St.
North Catasauqua Borough Council meets 7 p.m. in the borough building, 1066 Fourth St.
Catasauqua Area School Board meets 7 p.m. in the administration office board room, 251 N. 14th St.
During the Sept. 30 Catasauqua Borough Council workshop meeting, Councilwoman Jessica Kroope reported the Fest O’ Fall fundraising event Oct. 5 at the George Taylor House and the Biery House includes a Revolutionary War re-enactment, music, pony rides, food and a magic show.
The event is sponsored by Historical Catasauqua Preservation Association. All funds raised go to the George Taylor House for its needs.