· St. Mary's Church annual block party – 6-10 p.m., Second and Union streets, Catasauqua. Continues Friday and Saturday. Information: 610-264-0332 or email kim.bil@verizon. net.
· Vietnam Veterans of America meeting – 7 p.m., Banko Family Community Center, next to Lehigh Valley Hospital Muhlenberg, 2545 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem. All Vietnam veterans welcome. Information: Ken Howard at 610-428-9911.
· Catasauqua Area Lions meeting – 7 p.m. at the Jednota Club, Fifth and Grove streets, North Catasauqua.
The rides, game booths and food vendors opened for business at 6 p.m. Friday, the third day of the 2013 North Catasauqua Small Town USA Carnival.
By 7:30, all is calm at the North Catasauqua Betterment Committee booth, where committee members are selling raffle tickets, North Catasauqua T-shirts and borough memorabilia.
When Catasauqua Council met in special session June 12 to vote for a third time in six weeks on the purchase of the FL Smidth property along Front Street, Councilwoman Mitzi Smith changed her vote to 'yes' and the measure passed, 4-3.
"I don't believe that the borough should be in the land development business and I said I would vote 'yes' when the borough teamed up with a developer," she told The Press Monday. "I voted for the project in December when we had a developer."
When developer Weston Solutions dropped out of the plan in May, she changed her mind.
Thanks to a local nonprofit organization called Hounds on Working Leashes (HOWL), a Catasauqua Police Department K-9 now has the kind of bulletproof protection his human partner has.
On June 1, Catasauqua and Salisbury police department K-9s received ballistic vests, delivered by HOWL volunteers.
· North Catasauqua Small Town USA Carnival – 6-10 p.m., 701 Grove St. (between Grove and Arch streets), North Catasauqua. Information: 610-265-1504 or NCataCentennial@aol.com.
· Lehigh River Blues Jam – 7-10 p.m. Catasauqua Park.
· CPR course – 7-9 p.m., Egypt Fire Company, 4099 Kuhn Lane, Whitehall. Free. Information: Dale Ott at 610-262-7598.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Information: Dick Lobach, 610-965-2598.
During the June 5 council meeting, Hanover Township Councilman Bruce Paulus asked council to consider keeping the township's polling location at the Han-Le-Co fire station.
In the past, the municipal office served as the polling center. When construction of the new municipal building began, the polling location moved to the fire station.
The Catasauqua Borough Public Safety Committee meets at 7 p.m. in the municipal complex, 118 Bridge St.
Catasauqua Borough Zoning Hearing Board 7:30 p.m. in the municipal complex, 118 Bridge St.
Catasauqua Borough Shade Tree Commission meets at 7 p.m. in the municipal complex, 118 Bridge St.
Catasauqua Borough Public Utilities Committee meets at 6 p.m. in the municipal complex, 118 Bridge St.
Catasauqua Borough Public Works Committee meets at 7 p.m. in the municipal complex, 118 Bridge St.
The North Catasauqua Carnival opened yesterday and will run through Saturday, according to betterment committee chair Joseph Keglovits. An expanded food court with a variety of food and beverage offerings will be available from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. each night at the North Catasauqua Park.
As usual, the carnival will offer rides, games, live music and free parking.
This is the seventh year for the carnival. Proceeds are donated for various projects in the borough.