· Woman's Club holiday meeting – 7 p.m., Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 604 Fourth St., Catasauqua.
· Suburban North Family YMCA fourth annual Tree of Lights – 7 p.m., 880 Walnut St., North Catasauqua. Information: 610-264-5221.
· Duplicate Bridge, Invitational – 12:30 p.m., Lehigh County Senior Citizens Center, 1633 Elm St., Allentown. For players with 0-199 master points. Information: 610-437-3700.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad...
NASA scientist Jennifer Stern, Ph.D., brought the story of the mission of the latest Mars robotic probe, Curiosity, to an enthusiastic audience at Alumnae Hall on the Cedar Crest College campus Nov. 15.
She detailed the development of the "Mini-Cooper-sized" craft and its 354 million mile journey from earth to a small landing site on the red planet. She enthusiastically reported the project is exceeding all expectations as it searches for signs of "habitability" on the distant planet...
Knights of Columbus Council 10921 of St. Joseph the Worker, Orefield, will be hosting its annual free throw contest for boys and girls from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Jan. 4, 2013, in the church gymnasium.
Registration is 3:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 4:15 p.m.
Proof of age (between ages of 10 and 14 as of Jan. 1, 2013) and parents' written permission are required to participate.
This is a non-denominational event and there is no entry fee.
Winners of their respective...
I would like to dedicate this two-column series to the memory of the Lehigh Valley garment workers, including my mother and mother-in-law, who toiled in the industry for many years.
Do you remember when our communities were home to numerous garment factories providing jobs for thousands of employees? The dedicated workers manufactured high-quality shirts, dresses, blouses and slacks. They worked long hours for meager wages.
I had a flashback to the old industry when...
True to their school's name, students dug through soil horizons and found artifacts representing what could have been seven generations of life at the historic 1803 House.
In preparation for a future herb garden, sixth- and seventh-grade students at Seven Generations Charter School excavated next to one of Emmaus' treasured historic landmarks with an archeological dig.
Educational specialist and middle school Spanish teacher Ryan Loughren guided the students using the...
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 417 Howertown Road, will host a "Polar Express" movie night on Friday, Dec. 14, at 6 p.m.
The movie begins at 6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall. Bring your sleeping bag, pillows and wear your pajamas so you can feel right at home watching the movie.
Admission is free.
There will be lots of treats and homemade hot chocolate available for purchase and, of course, chocolate chip cookies as well.
For more information, call 610-...
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A verbal dispute between a man and woman brought officers to the 5100 block of Stone Terrace Drive.
· A report of a purse, credit cards and a handgun stolen from a vehicle brought officers to the Walmart, 2601 MacArthur Road.
· Police responded to a report of trespass in the 5100 block of Main Street.
· A request for information brought officers to the 300 block of Sixth Street...
The City of Bethlehem's Earl E. Schaffer Municipal Ice Rink is now open for public ice skating.
Public skating is available from 1 to 5 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays; Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m.; and Friday and Saturday evenings from 7 to 10 p.m.
Season passes are available for residents and non-residents.
Group skating lessons began Nov. 26; and hockey clinics are from 8 to 9 a.m. Saturdays.
For more information, call 610-...