Catasauqua resident Hailey Deschaine, left, and Kayla Herr of Northampton bundle up and try to stay warm outside the Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft store in the MacArthur Road Shopping Center on Sunday afternoon while selling Girl Scout Cookies. The girls are Junior Girl Scouts with Troop 6998 from Holy Trinity United Church of Christ in Catasauqua.
Catasauqua Middle School students entertained a large audience at their Winter Instrumental Concert in December.
The Northampton Area Food Bank will hold a Vera Bradley bingo Sunday, Feb. 3, in the gym of Good Shepherd Catholic School, 1300 Newport Ave.
Doors open at noon. The games begin at 2 p.m.
A Chinese auction and a 50/50 cash drawing will also be held. Refreshments will be available.
Contact Barbara Budnik at 610-262-6156 for tickets or information.
The snow date is Feb. 10.
Queenship of Mary Church will hold its annual Sweetheart Breakfast and MSC...
Feeling lucky? Want to get out of the house on a cold winter afternoon? If so, then plan on attending the Catasauqua Booster Club Bingo on Sunday afternoon, Feb. 3, in the Catasauqua High School cafeteria. Bingo begins at 1 p.m. Prizes will include Vera Bradley, Coach and Longaberger products.
Participants can also take a chance at Chinese auction prizes or visit a craft fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Proceeds from the fundraiser will benefit SADD's post-prom party and the...
Amazing Events by Linda Holliday, a well-known ventriloquist and magician, will be presented 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 9, at Holy Trinity Memorial Lutheran Church, Fourth and Pine streets, Catasauqua.
Tickets can be purchased for just the show or for a dinner/show.
The dinner will include hot dogs, chips, relish tray/dip, homemade desserts and a drink. Proceeds will go to benefit the Lutheran Congregational Services Disaster Relief Fund and Holy Trinity's Heating Fund.
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A theft from a vehicle brought officers to the 1300 block of North 13th Street.
· Police responded to a report of public drunkenness in the 5100 block of Stone Terrace Drive.
· A report of a drug overdose brought officers to the 3300 block of North 13th Street.
· Police responded to a suspicious vehicle on Chestnut Street.
· A report of an open apartment door brought...
· Lehigh Valley Chapter 1371, National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) meeting – 12:45 p.m., St. Peters Lutheran Church community room, 1933 Hanover Ave., Allentown. Information: Marie Nader at 610-231-0237.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Open to all model railroaders ages 14 and older. Information: Dick Lobach at 610-965-2598.
· Bingo – Doors open 5:30...
There will be an early dismissal for all Catasauqua Area School District students Wednesday, Feb. 6.
Catasauqua Middle School students will be dismissed at 12:20 p.m.
The CMS-PTF will host a Valentine's dance Friday, Feb. 8, from 7 to 9 p.m. in the middle school auditorium.
Don't forget the school board will hold the first of its two monthly meetings Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. in the district admiinistration office board room.
North Catasauqua's Charotin Hose Company responded to the following calls recently.
Carbon monoxide alarm
Jan. 1, 3:57 p.m.
Charotin personnel responded to 1103 Front St. for a carbon monoxide alarm activation. The caller had reported the alarm was sounding for an unknown reason and there was no one feeling ill.
When firefighters arrived and checked the building with fire department meters, no carbon monoxide was found in the residence.
Smoke in dwelling...
With the passing of Tony Stanz, uncertainty remains over whether the borough will be without another business.
Stanz was owner of Tony's Hobby Shop, which was a fixture for decades in Coplay.
Commercial enterprises thrived for many years on Second Street when the pavement was filled with shoppers and those enjoying a night out.
It might be too soon to ascertain whether the hobby shop, once a pool hall, becomes a casualty to larger commercial enterprises.