The St. Andrew's 2nd Annual Tricky Tray/ Basket Social is planned for Saturday, Sept. 29. There will be baskets to bid on, great gifts, food, baked goods, and fun for everyone at this fundraising event. Organizers say patrons will enjoy eating and shopping with friends and neighbors at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 1900 E. Pennsylvania Ave., Allentown. This church is located in Hanover Township, two blocks south of Catasauqua Road., on the border of Allentown and Bethlehem.
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Officers responded to an argument between a husband and wife in the 1200 block of Basswood Street.
· A report of harassing telephone calls brought police to the 900 block of Fairmount Avenue.
· Police responded to a protection-from-abuse order request in the 3700 block of Lehigh Street.
· Officers were called to the Kmart, 2520 MacArthur Road, to investigate a report of a...
I was raised with the notion I could be anything I wanted to be.
There was never discussion on barriers placed on particular careers because I was a girl.
We recently lost a very important woman, Sally Ride, who helped pave the way for young girls.
Ride was the first American woman in space and the youngest American to ever circle Earth.
According to her biography on sallyridescience.com, she answered a NASA newspaper ad seeking astronaut candidates in 1977 while...
The Relay for Life is not a one-day deal.
Although the 24-hour event which takes place each June at Whitehall High School is familiar to most people, the event does not represent the complete package, said Shari Noctor, chairperson of the 2012-13 Relay for Life of Whitehall. This year, the Whitehall relay celebrates its 10th anniversary and the American Cancer Society is celebrating its 100th.
Relay activities take place all year and, to make this year's event successful,...
North Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A parking complaint brought officers to the 400 block of Chapel Street.
· Police responded to a disturbance in the 600 block of Grove Street.
· A request for information brought officers to the 1000 block of Front Street.
· Police were called to the 600 block of Green Street to investigate a theft.
· Officers responded to a report of harassment in the...
The Catasauqua School Board approved Kristin Popovice to serve as a Catasauqua High School long-term substitute during the board's Sept. 4 workshop meeting. She will teach earth science.
Popovice will replace Katrina Bullock who was approved at the board's Aug. 13 meeting. Since her appointment by the board, Bullock declined the CHS teaching position.
The earth science position became available after CHS teacher Daniel Wismer took a leave of absence.
The board also set...
The Catasauqua Club, 226 Pine St., will hold a beach party and vacation giveaway Saturday, Sept. 8, beginning at 4 p.m.
A raffle will be held to win a weeklong vacation at the Sandy Beach Resort in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Traditional summertime fare will be served and guests are encouraged to wear their favorite beach attire.
Tickets are available for purchase in advance or at the door.
Call 610-264-1771 for more information.
Don't forget Salem United Church...
Lehigh County officials unveiled in back-to-back press events Aug. 28 the county's new executive and a proposed 2013 county budget.
President Judge Carol McGinley administered the oath of office to 75-year-old William Hansell, a former city council member and business administrator with decades of government and management experience.
Hansell replaces Don Cunningham who, after six years, left the position to become executive director of the Lehigh Valley Economic Development...
Should strict state regulations limit the noise coming from a Catasauqua tavern or should perhaps more forgiving police oversight of the decibels be approved? That is a question that borough council members are being asked to answer.
At the council's workshop session last Monday, the owners of Fossils, a tavern on Race Street, asked the council to consider a measure that would allow the borough to set noise standards rather than the state Liquor Control Board [LCB].
· The Delaware-Lehigh Amateur Radio Club monthly meeting – 7:30 p.m., Bethlehem Area Vo-Tech School, 3300 Chester Ave., Bethlehem. Information: www. dlarc.org, KE3AW@ arrl.net or 610-432-8286.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Open to all model railroaders ages 14 and older. Information: Dick Lobach at 610-965-2598.
· Al-Anon Family Support Group meeting – 7-9 p.m.,...