Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Officers assisted EMS in the 500 block of Race Street.
· A disturbance brought police to the 200 block of Bridge Street.
· Officers responded to a report of harassment in the 700 block of Front Street.
· Police were called to the 700 block of Limestone Street to investigate a report of a disturbance.
· A report of juveniles walking the streets brought police to...
Mr. Fritz Engler was born on the family farm in Washington Township, graduating from Bangor High School in 1970. There, he was a member of the wrestling squad.
"I especially enjoyed all my math courses," he says. After two years at Penn State University, Fritz took his mechanical skills to Hercules Cement now (Buzzi-Unicem) and was hired on March 20, 1970.
"I started on the labor gang at $3.25 an hour," he says. "My 41 years here have taken me into every area of the plant."...
Wednesday, July 31: Barbecued chicken, barley rice, peas, rye bread, angel food cake.
Thursday, August 1: Yankee pot roast, oven roasted potatoes, Harvard beets, wheat bread, diced pears.
Friday, August 2: Potato encrusted Pollock, macaroni and cheese, stewed tomatoes, wheat bread, fresh fruit.
Monday, August 5: Breaded chicken breast, roasted redskin potatoes, broccoli, wheat bread, apple wedges.
Tuesday, August 6: Salisbury steak, whipped potatoes, cauliflower,...
The recent proclamation by Angelina Jolie to have a preventive double mastectomy has opened the conversation about genetic counseling and the BRCA gene.
In an opinion piece written by Jolie for The New York Times in May, Jolie said she carries the BRCA1 gene which increases her risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
"My doctors estimated I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer," Jolie said.
She said her mother died at age 56 of...
To the Editor:
He [Mark Reccek in his "Another View" in the July 24 issue of The Press] states in Pennsylvania you cannot shoot in self-defense unless the assailant has a deadly weapon.
At first glance that sounds logical. Now think of this.
You are 5 foot 5 inches tall and weigh 135 pounds; the assailant is 6 foot 5 inches tall and weighs 235 pounds. You have a legal gun and he doesn't.
Ask Mr. Reccek what he would do if he was the 5 foot 5 inch person. I am...
North Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A disturbance brought officers to the 1000 block of Railroad Street.
· Officers assisted an outside agency in the 300 block of Chapel Street.
· Police responded to a report of a missing juvenile in the 1000 block of Railroad Street.
· Officers assisted a citizen on Front Street.
· A domestic call brought police to the 200 block of Eugene Street.
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A report of a missing juvenile brought officers to the 800 block of Fernhill Lane.
· Police responded to a report of vandalism at Valero, 2267 MacArthur Road.
· A theft from a vehicle brought officers to the 1300 block of North 14th Street.
· Police were called to the 3200 block of North Second Street to investigate a suspicious vehicle.
· A report of a domestic dispute...
Vacation Bible school – until Aug. 4, Faith Lutheran Church, 3355 MacArthur Road. Information: 610-435-0451.
· Delaware-Lehigh Amateur Radio Club meeting – 7:30 p.m., Bethlehem Township Community Center, 2900 Farmersville Road, Bethlehem. Program: "GPS System and Applications Simplified" by Ben/KB3CTX. Open to the public. Information: www.dlarc.org, KE3AW@ ARRL.NET or 610-432-8286.
· Vietnam Veterans of America meeting – 7 p....
By now, you all should be enjoying your BLTs as your garden tomato crop overwhelms your backyard.
Take some time out for the Catasauqua Garden Club meeting on Aug. 7 at 1 p.m. Sue Kittek, a Pennsylvania Master Gardener and garden columnist for the Morning Call, will share floral design and prep with the group. The Wednesday meeting will take place at the usual location, the Slovak Center Social Club, 1233 Fifth St., North Catasauqua.
Remember to have your display items in place...
There has been conversation in the mass media concerning the corn crop and prices.
Many agricultural economists believe commodity supply and demand affect prices.
For generations, farmers have focused on corn as one of the most significant farm commodities in the U.S. Farmers used to follow corn markets primarily because of the crops' value for feeding livestock and people.
More recently the mass media has also focused on corn as a significant commodity to be aware of....