Next July, the St. Andrew Roman Catholic Parish in North Catasauqua will officially be dissolved. In its place members of the St. Lawrence the Martyr Parish, also in North Catasauqua, will join them as members of a new St. John Fisher Parish.
While the parish name will change, the exterior and interior of the St. Andrew building on Third Street, where the parish members will worship, will remain as beautiful and breathtaking as ever.
"All the people are great who come here and...
Holy Trinity Memorial Lutheran Church rounded up some children for some Bible learning with a Western flair.
Area residents seek both excercise and relaxation during the summer months.
Bob Heimbecker is demanding that Hanover Township Councilman William Kovacs Jr. relinquish his seat on council.
"Mr. Kovacs has been invited by me to step down or resign his seat on the Hanover Township, Lehigh County Council. He has not done so," Heimbecker, a Republican, said during the July 17 council meeting, citing Pennsylvania Code Section 33.5-503 Recall. "It is my declared intention in the next 30 days to circulate a legally valid petition to recall."
Timothy Delany of 79 Cambridge Place addressed the Catasauqua Zoning Hearing Board at a July 9 hearing concerning a zoning violation that was found on his property.
"I've had the chickens for two years and they keep laying about a dozen eggs a week," he said.
The reason for his zoning appeal is that, according to the zoning ordinance, in order to raise chickens in Catasauqua, homeowners are required to have a 10,000-square-foot lot. Delany's lot is 6,633 square feet, about two-...
A group of Catasauqua residents and those with ties to the area will be fighting cancer as they take their bikes on a 540-mile ride next week.
Dennis Kelly and Debbie Gemmel of Catasauqua, Tom Nicklas of Whitehall, and Robert Docherty, of Allentown, and Don Wallace, of Schnecksville, are participating in the Pennsylvania Perimeter Ride Against Cancer (PPRAC) which will take them from Portland, Maine to Palmerton. Docherty and Wallace both have ties to Catasauqua.
The ride, held...
· Officers assisted EMS in the 600 block of South 14th Street.
· A report of juveniles who threw a firecracker at a house brought police to the 400 block of Second Street.
· Officers responded to a motor vehicle crash in the 900 block of Bridge Street.
· A report of two men fighting brought police to the 700 block of Third Street.
· Police responded to a report of a burglary in the 800 block of Faith Drive.
· A report of identity...
The heat wave has abated a bit, but not without invoking memories of many older citizens.
Very few owned refrigerators in the 1940s. When they did come onto the market, the price was too high for many families.
Many in the borough still remember Gusty Hobel, who operated an open truck delivering blocks of ice. Gusty chipped the frozen blocks of water with an ice pick and used iron hooks with a handle to make the delivery. Children loved the shavings of ice left behind.
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· An alarm summoned officers to the 2500 block of Augusta Drive.
· Officers responded to a report of a vehicle keyed in the 4100 block of Wilson Street.
· Police were called to Jordan Park Beverages, 1208 MacArthur Road, to investigate a broken glass door.
· Officers assisted EMS in the 400 block of First Street.
· The theft of iron fencing brought police to the 100 block of...