· Homemade Holiday Sale benefits the Mrs. Nothstein's Helping Hands Fund – 1-6 p.m., 1333 Fourth St., North Catasauqua. Information: Bill Nothstein at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-266-9512.
· "Vanishing of the Bees" documentary – 7 p.m., Room SH-144 (Science Hall), Lehigh Carbon Community College, 4525 Education Park Drive, Schnecksville. Information: 610-799-2121.
· Woman's Club of Catasauqua meeting – 7 p.m.,...
St. Paul's Lutheran Church hosted a movie night recently.
The damage from superstorm Sandy can still be seen in communities throughout the Lehigh Valley.
As the storm blew into the community of Catasauqua last Monday evening, it knocked down trees and power lines, causing many in the borough to wait out the storm in the cold and the dark.
Although the residents of Catasauqua were not exempt from the wrath of the storm, borough Police Chief Douglas Kish told The Press through the efforts of emergency management, the borough was able to...
North Catasauqua residents may be able to place items to be recycled at the curb for pickup if borough council members vote to approve a hauling contract for next year.
Council members discussed the details of a proposal for curbside recycling pickup in the borough, under consideration when the borough's trash hauling contract is up for renewal at the end of the year, at the Oct. 23 borough council meeting.
Coucilwoman Michelle Hazzard and borough Treasurer Annette Englert met...
At the storm-delayed executive session of Catasauqua Borough Council Nov. 1, borough Manager Eugene Goldfeder reported that the sewage treatment plant was running on a generator after last Monday's Hurricane Sandy.
"We have partial power restored, but the full system is not up," he said.
According to Goldfeder, the three-phase power system requires additional input.
"We elected to stay on emergency power because the loss of full three-phase power might harm some of the...
After more than six days without power, the popping drone of the generator began to sound as normal as the chirping birds and the occasional passing car I used to hear.
"When are you supposed to get your power back?" I was asked Friday.
"Christmas," I said.
The other person paused briefly as if startled.
"Oh, my word," she said. "You're serious!"
Almost. A sense of humor definitely helped my husband, Sean, and I deal with the circumstances. But beneath the...
North Catasauqua's Carotin Hose Company personnel responded to the following calls recently.
Oct. 6, 3:05 a.m.
Carotin personnel responded to a fire alarm at 1400 Main St., the North Catasauqua High Rise. Upon arrival, firefighters found no alarms present on the alarm panel. A check of the hallways and common areas revealed no problems.
Oct. 7, 2:52 a.m.
North Catasauqua firefighters responded to another fire alarm at the North...
Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Officers responded to a report of a tree limb on a cable in the 800 block of Bethlehem Road.
· Officers were called to the 300 block of American Street to investigate a report of a tree down on a vehicle.
· Police assisted a citizen in the 100 block of Canal Street.
· A tree limb on a cable brought officers to the 800 block of Bethlehem Road.
· Officers responded to a report...
After a long week of power outages and trees and debris found throughout Catasauqua due to damaging effects of Hurricane Sandy, it is back to school this week for school district students.
The storm caused district offices and schools to close Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday last week and led to two-hour delays Thursday and Friday.
Report cards will be distributed to CMS students today. Good luck to all students!
Parent-teacher conferences will be...
· Duplicate Bridge, Invitational – 12:30 p.m., Lehigh County Senior Citizens Center, 1633 Elm St., Allentown. For players with 0-199 master points. Information: 610-437-3700.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Open to all model railroaders ages 14 and older. Information: Dick Lobach at 610-965-2598.
· Al-Anon Family Support Group meeting – 7-9 p.m., First Presbyterian...